NEED TO VENT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depression..

2 posters

Go down

Depression.. Empty Depression..

Post  colleennichole Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Colleen, and I am new to this site. I am hoping to talk with some people who struggle with the same issue as I do.

A little background on myself. I am a 19 year old college student. I have never been diagnosed with anything, as I have never went to a therapist or told my doctor or parents about the way I have been feeling. I have been struggling with what I am assuming is depression since around.. 8th grade. I have had suicidal thoughts, and have even gotten to the point where I had a plan, and began writing a note. I self harm occasionally, but it is never anything too bad - just a few cuts here and there, never very deep. My depression seems to go up and down - I can go weeks without feeling too bad and only having a few bad days, to going weeks where I don't even have the energy or ambition to get out of bed. The only person who knows all of this is my boyfriend, who I have been with for one year, and he has been strongly encouraging me to go see someone at our university's psych services center. After many months of him urging me to go see someone, I am finally going to take that step, and I am very, very nervous.

My boyfriend gets upset with me when I say this, but I am not sure if my problem is big enough to waste a therapist's time, and maybe I'm not REALLY depressed, only someone who feels down more often than others. I know that sounds silly, but some days I feel like I could just deal with it on my own. His defense is that I obviously can't, and he is very worried about me.

What should I expect in my first therapy session?

colleennichole

Back to top Go down

Depression.. Empty Re: Depression..

Post  counselor Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi there!
I trust u when u say you're not so involved in your depression to go to a therapist. But if that is true, a therapy could go on not so long! Around a couple of weeks or months. 
However, is strange why does your boyfriend not try to listen to you or to take care of you directly... Or maybe he does? 
Now, try to explain what's the matter when you fall into depression. What happens when you want to cut your arms.

Remember it, u're not alone!! And u're also enough strong to get through this.
counselor
counselor
Admin

http://www.myhelpforum.net

Back to top Go down